Re: Who's your mentor, or Apprentice?

Hmm, haven't spoken up here much, but might as well put my opinion forward.

I learned a fair bit from Slash back in the days, with the fleeting business though i think i mostly gathered that by myself, the hit SBT tried on me a while back was the catalyst for me wanting to learn the ways of the fleeter, i also picked up a few of tricks from the way he worked, blind launches and such. I also used his fleet as the template for mine as i grew through the ranks.

As for apprentices, i mentored Noodle when he first joined us, back when the lil guy was at 11 points. ;) He learned fast though, growing and eventually not needing my help anymore. I have given tips and help to a lot of players, though i hope i'll have a few bright and prodigal apprentices in the future.

-Istalris-
When people ask me plz because it's shorter than please, i feel inclined to respond no because it's shorter than yes...

CURTIS! Seriously! When I joined The Frat about a week into the game, curtis was my squad commander. The very first message I got from him was a link to the alliance forums and strict instructions to register and read everything. Had I not done that, I'd still be trying to figure things out for myself.

Ok, alot of the game was common sense and I relied alot on previous games, especially for the colony sim-building part. The real knowledge came from players like Overlord, Urweird, Shavedwombat and the rest of the alliance. If there is one person I would call a mentor, it is eOs. He really loves the game, knows it well and loves to share his knowledge.

I have mentored many, CharliePie99, at times I help SquarePool8, i have have help most of the weaker players in my alliance too.

At one time i helped Kargesteven, I was asking him for rescources and he said he couldn't because his fleet was recently destroyed, so i asked him to Espionage me and tell me what i could work on. Then i told him that i was going to espionage him and see i (a weakling struggling to break 3 thousand points) could help him. When i espionaged him i saw that his armor, shield, weapons technologies were all level seven or below. So i told him that his fleet would stop being destroyed if he worked on those a little.

Does that count as mentoring?
Leader of Eldrith Pirates

Hmmm I really didn't have much of a mentor.

I picked up most of what I know via the forums, and discussions and ideas thrown between myself and my IRL mates when they still played. I'm still learning but I'm playing the tortoise not the hare. Besides life is keeping going at a snails pace lately and probably will for most of my time playing so I'll end up as a social player/trader in the end.
Gale Points: 6

Avon wrote:CURTIS! Seriously! When I joined The Frat about a week into the game, curtis was my squad commander. The very first message I got from him was a link to the alliance forums and strict instructions to register and read everything. Had I not done that, I'd still be trying to figure things out for myself.

Ok, alot of the game was common sense and I relied alot on previous games, especially for the colony sim-building part. The real knowledge came from players like Overlord, Urweird, Shavedwombat and the rest of the alliance. If there is one person I would call a mentor, it is eOs. He really loves the game, knows it well and loves to share his knowledge.
who are you?are you avalon5?

I have had great advice and still get from players in the Hellsfury alliance also gumppy in a rare moment of pity told me to save my fleet rather than get in the way of him as he munched on my worlds. I got a lot of attention from him that night as I launched missiles at his world and sent everything i had to intercept his huge fleet (they ended up like squashed bugs against a windscreen of a car travelling 80 mph). He informed me that , after he had a cigarette, that had I kept my head down he would have only gorged himself on one planet.

He also pointed out that I only needed 300k energy for graviton research not 3 million as he scoffed the biggest solar sattelite field in the game.

I also want to thank all the good people who respond graciously to my messages (including some very high ranked players), there is a big community of good players out there , WE ARE NOT FOOD ( or if you still think we are I hope we give you the trots)!

Happy times

Trid

curtis wrote:
Avon wrote:CURTIS! Seriously! When I joined The Frat about a week into the game, curtis was my squad commander. The very first message I got from him was a link to the alliance forums and strict instructions to register and read everything. Had I not done that, I'd still be trying to figure things out for myself.

No, I'm Avon, and you were Echo squad CO when I joined TF. For a few days you were anyway... avalon5 phtt

Avon wrote:
curtis wrote:

No, I'm Avon, and you were Echo squad CO when I joined TF. For a few days you were anyway... avalon5 phtt
ohld on arent you the reaosn i got kicked out?