Re: Forum Games: Solve the riddle

Witchywoman is correct. Sorry for the long wait, other issues needed attending too.

Score Table:

Neoshagrath: 6
Witchywoman: 4
Sadbutrue: 2
Nemesis: 2
Spankie: 1

Riddle number 17:

The paragraph below is most unusual. How quickly can you find out what is so unusual about it? It looks so ordinary you'd think nothing was wrong with it - and in fact, nothing is wrong with it. It is unusual though. Why?

"Gatsby was walking back from a visit down in Branton Hill's manufacturing district on a Saturday night. A busy day's traffic had had its noisy run; and with not many folks in sight, His Honour got along without having to stop to grasp a hand, or talk; for a mayor out of City Hall is a shining mark for any politician. And so, coming to Broadway, a booming bass drum and sounds of singing, told of a small Salvation Army unit carrying on amidst Broadway's night shopping crowds. Gatsby , walking towards that group, saw a youg girl, back toward him, just finishing a long, soulful oration ... "

The above passage is taken from the book "Gatsby" written by Ernest Vincent Wright in the late 1930's.

Good luck! :)

-Istalris-
When people ask me plz because it's shorter than please, i feel inclined to respond no because it's shorter than yes...

Ok I read the thing about 10 times, the only thing I noticed that seemed a little odd was that there are no E's. Or are my eyes deceiving me?

*that is what I get for stepping away from the computer when answering...someone answered the same thing before me* Hope you are right :).
Just when you thought your were in control... I proved you wrong!

Thatguyeric is correct. The official answer is;

The letter "E" is the most commonly used letter in the English language, yet in the whole passage, there was no "E" used.

Score Table:

Sadbutrue: 2
Thatguyeric: 1

Riddle number 18:

If you're 8 meters away from a door and with each move you advance half the distance to the door.

How many moves will it take to reach the door?

-Istalris-
When people ask me plz because it's shorter than please, i feel inclined to respond no because it's shorter than yes...

Sadbutrue is correct. The official answer is;

If you only move half the distance, then you will always have half the distance remaining no matter how small the number.

Score Table:

Sadbutrue: 3
Thatguyeric: 1

Riddle number 19:

Two convicts are locked in a cell.
There is an unbarred window high up in the cell.
No matter if they stand on the bed or one on top of the other they can't reach the window to escape.
They then decide to tunnel out.
However, they give up with the tunnelling because it will take too long.
Finally one of the convicts figures out how to escape from the cell.

What is his plan?

-Istalris-