Re: Forum Games: Solve the riddle

Maul64 wrote: Water is very sticky
I have heard this before, but couldn't remember the answer, until this comment. Thank you kind sir.
Water is attracted to other surfaces (because of it's polarity?), meaning the water level is higher around the edge of the cup. However, if you fill up the cup to the top, this stickiness also allows it to go slightly above, until the water level is higher in the center. Since, the cork weighs less than water, it seeks the highest point, the center. I'm 99% sure this is correct.
❦: I think this is supposed to be a pepper, in which case, it would be appropriate for my signature. If, however, it is discovered not to be a pepper, it will promptly be removed and anyone who refers to it will be deemed a conspiracist.

Excellent Sizzle, you are correct and score the point.

Here is my answer; The reason that a cork drifts to the side of a glass is that it floats to the highest point. Since water is sticky and "clings" to the glass, the highest point is around the edge of the water. To get the cork to float in the middle of the glass, all you have to do is fill the glass as much as possible. The water will form a convex shape above the glass, with the highest point at its center. This is where the cork will settle.

Score Table:

Cypher: 5
KarrothMelu: 3
Pupairo12: 2
Kick: 2
Spy: 2
Weresloth: 1
Scoobysnack: 1
Corbeil: 1
Malebolgia: 1
Andrew: 1
Maul: 1
Joshanddrew: 1
Sizzle: 1

Riddle number 24:

A man in a restaurant asked a waiter for a juice glass, a dinner plate, water, a match, and a lemon wedge. The man poured enough water onto the plate to cover it.

"If you can get the water on the plate into this glass without touching or moving this plate, I will give you $100," the man said. "You can use the match and lemon to do this."

A few minutes later, the waiter walked away with $100 in his pocket. How did the waiter get the water into the glass?
When people ask me plz because it's shorter than please, i feel inclined to respond no because it's shorter than yes...

He could scoop a lot of the water into the cup using his hand, then evaporate the rest with the heat of the match. Clearly not your answer seeing as there is no lemon.
❦: I think this is supposed to be a pepper, in which case, it would be appropriate for my signature. If, however, it is discovered not to be a pepper, it will promptly be removed and anyone who refers to it will be deemed a conspiracist.

wow we did this as an eperiment in school at least not with 100$....put the match into the lemon...put the lemon with the match inside it on the plate match side up(so id dont get wet)...light the match and put the glass over the lemon...creating a vacum and sucking the water into the glass...hey istalaris are you a chemistry teacher by chance? beacause thats twice things ive done in chemistry this try can up here