KarrothMelu: 2
Weresloth: 1
Scoobysnack: 1
Corbeil: 1
Malebolgia: 1
Andrew: 1
Maul: 1

Riddle number 20:

Jim is sitting at his desk, being cool, when his younger brother Ben walks up. Ben had recently been practicing his (fake) magical powers, trying to turn cheese into more cheese, so he believes he can beat Jim in anything. He sets up a little competition, the first to get 5 ounces of water to freeze, will be proclaimed the coolest guy in their home.

They set up some rules, as follows:
-They both can only use water that comes out of their kitchen sink's taps.
-They both use identical containers.
-They both must use the same freezer, at the same time.

Now, Jim realizes that if he were to lose, he would become less cool, he just doesn't roll like that. So, how and why, can Jim have the best chance of winning over Ben?
When people ask me plz because it's shorter than please, i feel inclined to respond no because it's shorter than yes...

Re: Forum Games: Solve the riddle

That''s pretty badass, I didn't know that.
However, it seems like there would be a couple ways to win. He could put salt in his brother's cup.
❦: I think this is supposed to be a pepper, in which case, it would be appropriate for my signature. If, however, it is discovered not to be a pepper, it will promptly be removed and anyone who refers to it will be deemed a conspiracist.

KarrothMelu wrote:Heat up the water first. Water freezes faster if it's cooled from a higher temp.
Karroth you fail. While you do remove more energy faster to start once you reach the same temp as the brother's water was when put into the freezer it will proceed to cool at the same rate as the brother's water did when first placed in the freezer however, a few hours (give or take) have passed in which the brother's water has already frozen.

there are so many ways to do this and salt in the brother's water would work however, that seems like cheating. So Jim needs to place ice cubes into his water which had previously been made from water which came out of the kitchen tap. This is not cheating because the rules do not stipulate that Jim can't freeze more than 5 ounces of water only that he must freeze the 5.

Edit:

Karroth is still wrong even though he got the point because by warming the water mare will evaporate and there will no longer be the required 5 ounces of water frozen, also due to the time required to heat the water, adjust the freezer to the proper temperature, and remove any impurities from the tap water what would affect his plan, Ben has enough time to look up what he is doing and just before the water goes in the freezer he hands his brother a lid to put on his container totally screwing him over.

Also Karroth still looses because he did not explain the complete how and because I am bitter that they never covered any principles of convection in my physics classes.
Last edited by love2scoobysnack on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Those with nothing to loose have the most to gain. Long live the Miner!

love2scoobysnack wrote:
KarrothMelu wrote:Heat up the water first. Water freezes faster if it's cooled from a higher temp.
Karroth you fail. While you do remove more energy faster to start once you reach the same temp as the brother's water was when put into the freezer it will proceed to cool at the same rate as the brother's water did when first placed in the freezer however, a few hours (give or take) have passed in which the brother's water has already frozen.

there are so many ways to do this and salt in the brother's water would work however, that seems like cheating. So Jim needs to place ice cubes into his water which had previously been made from water which came out of the kitchen tap. This is not cheating because the rules do not stipulate that Jim can't freeze more than 5 ounces of water only that he must freeze the 5.
Nope, I looked it up, it's true. It's called the Mpemba effect.
❦: I think this is supposed to be a pepper, in which case, it would be appropriate for my signature. If, however, it is discovered not to be a pepper, it will promptly be removed and anyone who refers to it will be deemed a conspiracist.