Re: Individual Alliances

Squirrel wrote:
Khan wrote:Having a tag next to your name can mean nothing.
Especially in an alliance where you most likely dont know half the people!

there are certain online games high number of people are needed..but in those games ..i.e. WoW the people actually have to work hand in hand to accomplish a goal.Zorg is the opposite in the fact that if you Befriend too many people...the viable target list shrinks to a point you can't grow to a competitive level.

You control your own destiny here...noone can save you from a hit they can't see coming..ALL experienced players know to launch from moons fleetsave to or from a moon and you will never know they was hit....Until you see Khan's posts in union of honor forum!

Anyone just starting out is welcome to PM me for some good pointers..can't give em all out as half the fun is learning on your own..but if you are smart enough to read the forums..chances are you will pick up on hints on how to survive and what not to do!(But biggest advice is to avoid joining an alliance that excedes 20 people)

I disagree with going alone or not being in an alliance.

Its worked for Mintaka but nowadays as the game has moved forward you need the alliances or the top guns would be killing each other off and would not be at the top of the tree like they are so powerfully if they were all going solo.

Fishpond

gumppy wrote:
Squirrel wrote:

there are certain online games high number of people are needed..but in those games ..i.e. WoW the people actually have to work hand in hand to accomplish a goal.Zorg is the opposite in the fact that if you Befriend too many people...the viable target list shrinks to a point you can't grow to a competitive level.

You control your own destiny here...noone can save you from a hit they can't see coming..ALL experienced players know to launch from moons fleetsave to or from a moon and you will never know they was hit....Until you see Khan's posts in union of honor forum!

Anyone just starting out is welcome to PM me for some good pointers..can't give em all out as half the fun is learning on your own..but if you are smart enough to read the forums..chances are you will pick up on hints on how to survive and what not to do!(But biggest advice is to avoid joining an alliance that excedes 20 people)
Well speaking only for myself, I will say that I have made arrangements with players that included NAPs and arrangements with other players that do not include NAPs. Some NAPs I have made for a set period of time, some were more than just NAPS. There is plenty of gray in between.

Working with other players is critical. Being in an alliance together provides some in game tools to facilitate that. However, I have coordinated efforts with groups of players across different alliances at times and by using a number of online tools to communicate, those efforts were seamless in their execution.
fishpondadmin wrote:I disagree with going alone or not being in an alliance.

Its worked for Mintaka but nowadays as the game has moved forward you need the alliances or the top guns would be killing each other off and would not be at the top of the tree like they are so powerfully if they were all going solo.

Fishpond
I had some communication with Mintaka, but not alot. I do know Mintaka got help on some of his hits. Information and assistance is critical to any player. I don't think Mintaka's dominance would have been any different if he had a tag next to his name. If a player fleetsaves religiously, knows their greatest threats and tracks them with the same zeal his predators tracks him, you will advance.

Sadbutrue was an independent for the most part for most of his rise. As was I. I don't think any alliance can offer any real protection. It may reduce the number of predators, but there are plenty enough at every level to make it a wash for the most part.

As far as the top players go, I will admit it makes life easier not to have to worry about Squirrel on Crack or Sadbutrue hunting me. Those two, along with Mintaka are the only ones with fleets that could take me out. However, eventually and hopefully sometimes soon ACS attack will be enabled.

At that point, the entire alliance dynamic will change. I will no longer have to just worry about Mintaka coming out of Vacation mode. However, even with ACS Attack enabled, it will take great coordination to get two or three or more players fleets together for an attack.

If protection is what a player is looking for in an alliance, it is unlikely that they will get it. If they do, it will not last long. The bigger a player gets, the more predators that become interested.

"You are in a position to demand nothing. I however, am in a position to grant nothing."

Khan Noonian Singh

gumppy wrote:
Squirrel wrote:

You're assuming all alliances offer "protection." Many simply offer information and advice. However, it seems most players confuse "help" with "shielding" for some very, very, VERY odd reason.

I know a large percentage of our members are deadbeats who want someone to hold their hand through the game and just funnel resources to them (It seems no one reads the rules, either) but those are removed swiftly (Or, would be, assuming that the kick function worked properly).

I'm a firm believer that alliances that help new players learn are vital to a game. Sometimes a new game (Especially one as strategic as Zorg) can be very intimidating and having older players help you get the hang of things (Note I didn't say to hold their hand and walk them through every step) lets you get over the basics and move onto the more advanced portions faster. I'd like to see how the player base was affected if the "training" alliances suddenly left. I've got a hunch that the flow of new, active members would drop quite a bit.

Remember, not every alliance cares about the little number next to their name :)