Death of the Forums

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far, far away... OK it wasn't far away it was right here. when the forums were first out their was a lot of traffic. Several years ago, you would check them on a daily basis or more to see what new thing was posted.

Then a great tragedy occurred. Someone posted something offensive to someone else. Probably no one even remembers what it was, but the offended party complained to Zorg. To ensure that everyone had a good experience in the forums, moderators were born.

The mods were there to make sure people didn't make attacks against someone personally or to post offensive material on the forums. They had the power to warn you and even ban you if you went to far. All was good in forum land once again....

Then, as with all forms of power, the mods went too far. They began consideration any type of banter to be offensive. Any attempt to call them out on it was mod bating and against the rules. The rules on posting became so restrictive that the entire fun of posting or reading posts was lost. Slowly but surely people quit posting in the forums as it seemed you couldn't post anything with out being warned or banned. Then slowly but surely people quit coming and reading the forums as nothing new was being posted. Now post are far and few in between and if a post is made, comments are rare (as compared to before) most of the people posting are the same ones over and over, with some mods being the biggest posters.

I'm certain that this post will probably get me a warning for mod bating or some other violation, thus proving my point, but till it does, maybe one or two people will see it.

Zorg and Mods. The thing that makes forums fun to read and post in is the very trash talk that you so heavily restrict. If someone is offended by such banter, tell them not to read the forums. Unless the attacks get personal they should be allowed.

Personal attacks defined: xxxxx says he is going to come and find yyyy in real life and kick is arse.
xxxxx makes comments about yyyy personal life.
xxxxx makes comments about yyyy family.

not personal attacks: xxxxx says yyyyy is stupid for such and such move.
xxxxx dares yyyyy to attack him if he can
xxxxx says yyyy is a noob and couldn;t do any thing to xxxxx
etc. if its game related trash talk ALLOW IT.

help bring back the forums. post your opinion with out fear of being flagged or banned. If you are, your not missing much at the moment.

Re: Death of the Forums

You have just totally contradicted yourself.

Firstly you start off berating Zorg, Moderators etc for being too restrictive. Then you go on to say that the thing that keeps things alive is for the forums not to be too restrictive! You seem to want things both ways?

"Zorg and Mods. The thing that makes forums fun to read and post in is the very trash talk that you so heavily restrict. If someone is offended by such banter, tell them not to read the forums. Unless the attacks get personal they should be allowed."

As always, I see some players complaining about the sort of thing you say. But those same players are the ones that are usually the first to resort to these things you accuse others of.

And, as you seem to be pointing towards individual(s) let me once again state, Moderators are also players. They play the game the same as anybody else. As such they are allowed to post the same as anybody else.

If you feel so strongly about these things then perhaps you could follow your own advice?
" If someone is offended by such banter, tell them not to read the forums."??

Or, is it a case of "Unless the attacks get personal they should be allowed." unless it against you and your allies/friends? In which case it should be stamped on straight away perhaps??

You should reread your second paragraph. Your too restrictive and I want forums to be less restrictive is the same thing, not both ways. Also I never said anything about mods making comments like players, as I welcome your comments as well. You do have the right to comment and should exercise that right, but in case you haven't noticed, your the number one poster here, and that is a statement in of its self.
As a side note, you personally seems to embrace the spirit of banter better than any other mod.

Yes, agreed, I read it wrong, apologies.

As for being the number one poster, it shows that I have more time than a lot of people. Yes, I retired early, others do not have that luxury. But my personal circumstances are to my benefit. If I can post more than others because of that time, then I will. Lol.

Yes, I embrace the banter thing more than most. I am more willing to let things ride than others.