Probes on attack fix

Following your suggestion, although a bit premature, I started this topic.

There can be two types of "fixes":
1)Probes cannot be included in attacks at all (only in defence like solar plants).

or

2)Probes cannot attack alone.

As for the other solution proposed:
There is no cargo issue to fix. The probes need the cargo in order to carry their fuel.

Solution #2 only addresses the raiding tactic.
Solution #1 will change combats a bit (beneficially I believe).

The fix will be implemented in Massacre as soon as the implementation era starts (starting soon it seems). It will be delayed in the rest universes till it can get some support (this thread will work as such too).

Re: Probes on attack fix

Zorg wrote:Following your suggestion, although a bit premature, I started this topic.

There can be two types of "fixes":
1)Probes cannot be included in attacks at all (only in defence like solar plants).

or

2)Probes cannot attack alone.

As for the other solution proposed:
There is no cargo issue to fix. The probes need the cargo in order to carry their fuel.

Solution #2 only addresses the raiding tactic.
Solution #1 will change combats a bit (beneficially I believe).

The fix will be implemented in Massacre as soon as the implementation era starts (starting soon it seems). It will be delayed in the rest universes till it can get some support (this thread will work as such too).

with regards to the above...why not just reduce the cargo capacity to say 3 from the existing 5..thus making it ineffective to raid with probes.. if you have to build almost double to gain any of the required capture, the cost in deut to fly so many will out way any benefit gained..looking at the linear distance of 160 systems or from one galaxy to the next at 100% is a max of 3 deut.. If you need them to go further than this, then simple reduce the speed to match...of course this only allows then the smallest of cargo capacity...making them useless only for raiding...

I have an idea.. reduce the cargo capacity AND fuel cost of probes to 0.

Much better than mucking up peoples game play for no reason, your fix to a problem will just cause more problems.
When people ask me plz because it's shorter than please, i feel inclined to respond no because it's shorter than yes...

Istalris wrote:I have an idea.. reduce the cargo capacity AND fuel cost of probes to 0.

Much better than mucking up peoples game play for no reason, your fix to a problem will just cause more problems.

This.

Istalris wrote:I have an idea.. reduce the cargo capacity AND fuel cost of probes to 0.

i like this idea the best but solution #2 is a good one as well. however, solution 2 eliminates probe for ms. the speed of a probe ms is key in some game play tactics.
I'll hit you so smurfin' hard it'll feel like you smurfed a freight train

I agree with the suggestions of Gozar and Istalris. Cokey is right, not allowing probes to attack or not attack alone would eliminate probe ms which would be a nuisance at least and a serious hamstringing of fleeter tactics. Since I am not a fleeter, I wouldn't be seriously upset about the last point atm, but it is still a point to consider.
Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the Spiffiest of them all?

Do Science Responsibly: Don't Do Science and Drive

"While it's good to learn from experience, it is better to learn from other people's experience" - Warren Buffett

I do not agree that Probes should not be allowed to be used as part of an attack. The 2 options you give Zorg eliminates the ability to use Probes for anything except for probing.

We all use probes in attacks. Some for fodder against other ships to save RIPs or BCs. Some use Probes to do Moon shots - which I do quite frequently. And a small percent of the player base uses Probes to raid.

I think if you remove the ability to attack with Probes you are punishing a majority of the player base for a fix to something that only a hand full of players use them for raiding.

A complete dis allowance of using probes on attack is NOT the answer. There have been several suggestions that do not include your options. Such as lowering the cargo capacity, and lowering the duet usage. Another option is to just remove the Probes from the cargo calculation all together. If probes are present during attack, treat them as bystanders and do not give them resources in the equation.

Please consider the consequences you are imposing on the entire player base - when you only want to remedy a problem that a small percentage of the player base employs. Please....