Moon augmentation idea.

Before I start, I'm not sure my idea as-is is a good one, but perhaps the playerbase could help me figure it out.

I propose that after a moon has been created around a planet, every time a debris field is generated around that planet (or moon) that is large enough to generate a moon, there is a chance the preexisting moon could grow by, perhaps, 5% the size of the moon that would have been generated, rounded down, if one was not already there. Say, the field would have generated an 8,000 Kilometer moon, so the moon that was already there grows by 400 Kilometers. This would mean that moons were harder to pop, which would spur the players to build up even more to compensate. Opinions? I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but I figured it would be a welcome discussion.
I have returned. I have opened my eyes to a new realm. And in it, I see my foes at my feet. You have been warned.

Re: Moon augmentation idea.

Not a bad idea at all...but given this scenario, one could do moonshots infinitely to increase the size of the moon until it reaches a hefty 9.999. Given the current system, it is in my opinion easier to destroy a moon and then do more MS for a bigger moon. I will say that chance is really the deciding factor in either case, as the time, resources, and fleet spent varies greatly in both.

Choke wrote:Not a bad idea at all...but given this scenario, one could do moonshots infinitely to increase the size of the moon until it reaches a hefty 9.999. Given the current system, it is in my opinion easier to destroy a moon and then do more MS for a bigger moon. I will say that chance is really the deciding factor in either case, as the time, resources, and fleet spent varies greatly in both.
That was the original idea, but this enables the 'free moonshot' plan to increase the size of your moon at a lower level, so alliance mates ( or people outside the alliance) don't have to risk RIPs to get you a bigger moon. Just get the moon, and leave 52 Battleships planetside, and a bit of res. Someone will hit, and your moon could grow.
I have returned. I have opened my eyes to a new realm. And in it, I see my foes at my feet. You have been warned.

Lycantro wrote:
Choke wrote:Not a bad idea at all...but given this scenario, one could do moonshots infinitely to increase the size of the moon until it reaches a hefty 9.999. Given the current system, it is in my opinion easier to destroy a moon and then do more MS for a bigger moon. I will say that chance is really the deciding factor in either case, as the time, resources, and fleet spent varies greatly in both.
That was the original idea, but this enables the 'free moonshot' plan to increase the size of your moon at a lower level, so alliance mates ( or people outside the alliance) don't have to risk RIPs to get you a bigger moon. Just get the moon, and leave 52 Battleships planetside, and a bit of res. Someone will hit, and your moon could grow.
no one with a brain uses RIPs to do moonshots. For one they are way too slow. Moonshots are usually composed of battleships or espionage probes, for speed and cost effectiveness. Moon size is not determined by the size of the debris field, it's totally random, which keeps things fair since it keeps the bigger players from just spamming up their moons
20 GP
The Trouble Maker
As Swift as the Wind that carries the Sand comes your DEATH

Omega Class Thank You to Devola/Gale for this super amazing sig.